The Rosewater Football Club was founded in the early to mid 1880’s (see Photo Gallery / Archives for match report 1887) and played in the Suburban Junior Football Association (where the Junior refers to sub-League rather than as nowadays to age), and local Port Adelaide leagues. Additional newspaper reports have been found providing descriptions of games played in 1885 and 1886.
Click here to view other clippings from 1885.
The Club has played under the Rosewater name since forming. It is the only “old” club in the north western suburbs not to have suffered an amalgamation.
The Club was a powerhouse in the local competition winning many premierships. It joined the SA Amateur League in 1949, then playing and continuing to play, at the Eric Sutton Reserve, Newcastle Street, Rosewater.
The halcyon days of the Club (in the SAAFL) were in the 50’s and 60’s, culminating in winning the 1957 A1 Division Premiership. Demographics change and the demise of work at Port Adelaide and the “greying” of the area, with the competition of many nearby clubs, have seen the fortunes of the Club decline (in playing strength).
Still a strength in Division 1 in the mid 70’s the Club’s Captain, John Staker, was named All-Australian captain. Over the years many players have represented the State. The most decorated player is (the late) Kevin Jacquier with five medals. Jim Farr, 1954, and Charles Cawthorne, 1971, are the Division 1 Hone Medallists. There are currently seven players accredited with over 300 SAAFL games, being: Kevin Thomas, Frank Carbone, Kevin Jacquier, Graham Morris, Malcolm Jorgensen, Peter Tozer, and Grant Hure.
Over the years many former Rosewater juniors have progressed to SANFL and AFL. Players to have been drafted to AFL include:
Bruce Abernethy; Che, David, and Donald Cockatoo-Collins; Trent Ormond-Allen; and Jarrad Poulton.
Brian Cunningham the Port Adelaide (AFL) Club first C.E.O. is also a former Rosewater Junior and 1967 Derwent Medallist (best and fairest U16s).
The Club plays an A, B and C Grade in Division 5, 5 Reserve and C4, in the SAAFL; with juniors in the Metro-West Junior League and has an “Old Dogs” team in the South Australian Masters competition.
Eric Sutton Oval
Memorial to Former Councillor
As a tribute to the memory of the late Alderman Eric Sutton, Port Adelaide City Council last night decided to rename Rosewater Reserve the Eric Sutton Oval.
The late Mr. Sutton, who died while a prisoner-of-war in Thailand - in July, 1943, served as a member of the council from 1930 to 1942.
Advertiser 5 September 1952
Above: Clubrooms, 1962
Clubrooms were erected in the early 1960's with additions in the early 1970's. By the turn of the century they had significant structural problems. In depth negotiations with the City of Port Adelaide Enfield commenced in 2003 with success in achieving funding for the replacement at the conclusion of the 2011 season. The PAE approved funding to $1.7M We were successful in Government, Community Recreation and Sport Facilities to $320K, $150K from the Australian Football League community sport grant, and Club 50 members contributed $30K.
The annoucement of our success was made:
Thursday 3 February 2011 at 6:00pm saw a well supported function where local member and No 1 Ticket Holder, the Honourable Jay Weatherill, Member for Cheltenham, addressed members regarding the successful outcome of our submission for funding under the Community Recreation and Sport Facilities Program. The Member's Lounge was packed with supporters keen to see the achievement of the Clubs ambition to replace the present outdated and structurally deficient facilities.
Jay announced the grant amount - a substantial $320,000-00 - to the acclaim of members.
Jay further addressed those present on the contribution to achieving the funding made by President John Readon who actively canvassed Ministers regarding the proposal.
John Reardon also thanked those present for making the attainment of the Grant possible:
The City of Port Adelaide Enfield - Brett Hill, Tim Noonan and Lyn Cooke - The SA Government via the Community Grants - The Club 50 Members - The Sub-Committee for the grant submission: John - President Charlie Rumbelow - Secretary Keith Medhurst - Treasurer Tyson Jacquier - Architect Tyson was especially mentioned, as the Vice Captain of the Club, and an architect by profession, his input had been invaluable.
Grant Sub-Committee with Jay Weatherill MP. From Left, Keith Medhurst, Charlie Rumbelow, Jay Weatherill, John Reardon, Tyson Jacquier.
John commented on the time frame which will see the present Clubrooms demolished after the final game of 2011 with the proposed new facilities available for the opening round in 2012.
John Dobinson Memorial Honour Board
Kevin Jacquier Member's Lounge
"Jacky" Rosewater's most decorated player
A gutsy and courageous ball winner who was rewarded by the umpires
with staggering 5 Association Medal's
A strong clubman, sadly he passed away in 1991
The RFC proudly hangs a shield in the Member's Lounge to honour Jacky's achievement's
Robin Starr Foyer
"Rube" Joined the club in the 1960's where he played and held the Secretary's position for 12 years
Not many player's left Rosie's for other clubs during his reign. They say it was mainly because they had to get Robin to sign the clearance form and that could be an unpleasant expeirence.
Robin sadly passed away in 2003
He was Secretary of the Club when the A1 team came 3rd in 1967, 1968, 1969 and 1970.
Kevin Thomas Change Rooms
Named in Honour of Life Member, player, coach, and Committee President in 1984.
Record games holder with 465 games
Coach 1987, 1999 and 2000.
Ron Penn Bar
The Ron Penn Bar was named after – Life Member number 61 – for his contribution to the Club.
Mural and other history – From Darryl Penn
- the bar extensions took place after the end of 1975 season whereby the original bar (northern end) was extended to consume the adjoining Committee Room to the south. The building work and all the fridges/bar equipment cost a bit over $9,000-00. In those days, the current store room was the old trainers’ room.
- the extensive kitchen and home team change room extensions were finished in July 79 at a cost of $30,000-00. The old trainers room became the bar store room.
- the Robin Starr foyer was finished in October 1983 ($4,500-00)
- clubroom newly carpeted in May 1982
- the coaches boxes were built in July 1982 ($1,500-00 for both!)
- Oval Lighting - March 1985 (another $2,200-00 was spent on upgrades in March 1993)
- Air-conditioning upgraded November 1992 for $3,300-00
- New tables and chairs in May 1993 for $7,700-00 (Chairman’s Club contribution by Members and local business – plaque detailing those contributing displayed in Member’s Lounge).